Sunday, September 27, 2009

Do's & Don'ts, Rules vs. Opportunities


Weblogg-ed – Our Textbook Author’s Blog
Well, maybe I didn’t dig deep enough, because I got stopped at his very first page: Don’t, Don’t, Don’t vs. Do, Do, Do. I have always been troubled by the secrecy and tightfistedness of institutional networking systems. When I once took a networking course, I realized what it was all about: POWER and CONTROL. Because computers give tools for “security” the rulers of the network are compelled to use them.
But reading his blog made me reflect. My first shock, was teaching a beginning computer class. ITS wanted to remove the games from all computers, especially employees. What better ‘mouse practice’ is there than Solitaire. Then, back to the early days at Sedona Center. As the new lab administrator, I constantly had battles regarding the openness of the network and our ability to use it creatively. In the end, we did win concessions and Sedona remains a “bit” less controlled than the rest of the YC network.
And today, working in a different institutional environment, I find things locked up tighter than ever. True, in the Yavapai-Apache Nation’s networking system there are many things that should be secured, but the limitations affect how I may do my work, which involves research, image acquisition from museums, and many more things. If I were to develop online language learning systems, I would likely not be able to implement them. An image database system, developed painstakingly over the last five years, might not be available to tribal members in our library.
I did dig deeper into our authors blog. Again and again I found notes on filters blocking computers, not only students, but instructors. Google docs blocked, You Tube, blocked, Google images blocked (September, 08). Then others in 2006, 2007. It does seem the institutions are not learning.
Who are learning is us… the instructors. After all we are here, exploring. Ruth fought long and hard to get Second Life approved. And think of the battles we lose. Apple Corp. has fought for technology freedom (hmm a new buzzword here?) for many years. They develop the tools for creativity. They open their arms (and heart) to innovative instruction. They encourage the use of technology in all ways for education. And they often put their money where their mouth is. As an Apple Distinguished Educator, this week I received over $2000. Of software for my own use, of course for educational development.
Want to connect with Apple? Visit http://edcommunity.apple.com/ali/. To see what ADEs are doing, visit the link to “Apple Distinguished Educators Showcase” on the lower right menu bar. But with all these advantages, Apple’s favorite teachers still face the institutional mindset and fight their individual battles alone.
And then, what has this to do with a new pedagogy? Well, everything. How can we change with the times and along with the technology unless the pedagogy shifts along with us and it. We are living in a time when change is the “ideal.” We elected a new President because he promised change. Yet, overall, people are afraid of change. “Not in my backyard” is a pervasive stance, even in education. What if I am wrong? Will there be jobs out there for me if I fail? So our educational systems must change… and must take the risks. What have we to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment