Thursday, March 17, 2011

Greetings from California


Not too much progress on my projects this last week. Taking a bit of a busman's holiday. I'm off in California harvesting seaweed.

Projectwise... I have changed the blog to better reflect the project. We have several tabs... first about the project, second about the project team, and the rest about each tribe we will be doing digital stories with. Visits and take a look.

I was able to make a new Google account just for the project team, so we could all work with the blog, and also Facebook. Creating a new Facebook account was successful with the new Google email account, but bombed when I had to put in a name. Had to make one up... so the page is associated with a fake person, not Native Digital Storytelling. Oh well. Still don't "get" Facebook.

More fun is wildcrafting with my old best friend. Will work on pictures later, but for now we are working with two types of seaweed. Harvesting Nori, a great plant collected during low tides in northern California. Its rich in vitamin A, potassium, magnesium, and phospherus. It makes a great snack food toasted with sesame seeds. More timely this week is my friends rising business in Kombu. It is a seaweed that contains iodine and could offset radiation effects. Despite the media saying the danger is small, we have been packaging it for days and her phone rings off its hook.

Also have been trying to get back into DS-106. It is a digital storytelling course that is open for anyone on the net. Todd is deeply involved in it, and I can't seem to get started. Made a little digital story I was going to post here... but didn't get it uploaded to YouTube. May not have enough bandwidth here. Oh well again.

Well, the tide is going out and its time to climb back into the cold cold north coast water. Will send pictures later when I sort them out.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting about the seaweed. I've been giving drops to the kids, but I really want a Geiger counter or something, because at this point who knows when or where radiation will drift by, and I don't think it's great to be giving iodine permanently.
    Your travels look like fun to me - nice beach.

    ReplyDelete